I responded to this post via email but apparently it didn't go through for
some reason. I am not very enamored with Google Groups... Anyway, this is
what I typed into my ASR-33:

I'm not sure what you mean by "top tubes" unless you mean the IN-17 variety
that have wires instead of pins.

I built the "Lena" a couple months ago and really like it.
http://nixiekits.eu/

The kit is very high quality and well thought-out, and the PIC programming
is quite clever in terms of the various effects that can be configured. I
must say, though, that the fact that the IN-12 tubes use an upside-down "2"
filament for the "5" drives me a bit crazy, so I try to never look at my
clock when there's a "5" in the hours or minutes ;^) . Also, Lena uses
IN-17s for the seconds digits. You would probably want the Lara kit, which
has the same mainboard but a different daughtercard for the six IN-2s.

Of course all of those tubes have "on the top" digits; if that's what you
mean then of course none of those will do. In that case, check out "Sven
reloaded" which uses side-view nixies.

BTW all of those kits have some SMT components, which are pre-soldered. But
the Lena was still a fairly challenging kit to build, in a good way. You
HAVE to follow the instructions closely or you will goof something up, I'm
sure if it.

cheers,

Dave B.