Pete,

I'm glad you found the ideas useful. I have a much larger proverb list which I chose from for my proverb generator when I became short of flash. I can let you (or anyone else) have it to play with. It includes a lot of other sayings, almost duplicates and the "Way of Mrs Cosmopolite" (Thief of Time, Terry Pratchett). Also here

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/The_Way_of_Mrs._Cosmopilite

I also have a few hundred proverbs in French (somewhere).

Did you use any compression for the text? I just about doubled the number of proverbs I could fit in doing so.

I have a few 20x4 Itron display but I have been seriously distracted by scope clocks. They requires just 5V and generate all the required VFD voltages and multiplex signals, and have a simple parallel interface. I was going to use a SD card for text storage as simple ascii files so they could be edited on a PC and then the SD card transfered into the clock/proverb. With just a 1 MB card that is almost "infinite" storage.

Cheers Grahame