One problem. Can't erase film. Early CAD would follow soon, so this would
have a short product life.

I used to be a draftsman, early in my career, and had that classic
draftsman's printing hand. Now, after using computers, for decades, my
handwriting is undecipherable chicken scratching.

For working drawings, using the results from a mechanical pencil was just
fine. For published documents (manuals, text books, ...) the drawing was
done in ink, with the aid of templates. This was a difficult skill, since
ink could run under, and bleed to an adjacent surface. Also, you can't
erase ink, either.

When CAD hit the personal computer, things changed quickly. Printer
technology lagged, and early drawings came out of pen plotters. A few
specialty color dot matrix graphic printers were produced, but it took
forever to draw a schematic, and the results a bit iffy, when compare to a
plotter.

The general concept of this video did live on. There's the Gerber
photo-plotter used to make artwork, for printed circuit boards. The Gerber
file is still a common, if not dominant, format used in the PCB industry.