Here's what Jeff had to say about it:
<<

The DST table was never resolved to accommodate the 2007 changes. I
completely lost interest in the clocks when business picked up, and
the kids had grown up to school age and require outside activities.
And, to make matters worse, there's a bug in the manual DST setup -as
you've already discovered. You are not doing anything wrong. That
option was accidentally stepped on when I revised the program last,
to resolve another unrelated bug... I've just been telling folks to
set their UTC offset twice a year until I have the courage to go back
into the assembly language program that has not been touched since
2005...

The clock expects RS-232 serial levels from the mini DIN port, and
only the $GPRMC string once per second. The Max232 device you see on
the board handles translation. Additionally, the 1PPS input (if
provided) is buffered through the spare channel of the Max232.

Terry