Nigel, I have used the 5522 without issue. The 5523 appears to be a "better" device with higher clock frequency and 5V logic. I use the blanking input on the 5522 and a PWM output from the uC for dimming. I have used th 5522 with 5V logic directly and 3V3 logic (from a raspberrypi) via a level shifter. Finally, I've chained 3 together to give 96 HV outputs. I normally use the SPI output rather than bit bang. So, not quite your question answered but I would have no immediate concerns.
Grahame