To answer one of the question about the Pixie tubes, and in fact, virtually
all full sized Burroughs glass plug in nixie variations, regular female
D-sub pins are generally a very good fit, and easy and cheap to obtain.

Many D-subs have a two part housing, just held together by the flange, if
you break it apart, the pins fall out of the housing. Mil style designs use
an insertable contact into a one-way opening, and the shell has to be
broken, or an extraction tool used.  You can also by loose pins in quantity
from many connector vendors. The cheapest pins use the housing to control
pin expansion, and might be a bit loose if removed, but a small heatshrink
sleeve will fix that.

Mill-max also makes a flush socket pin in many variations, as does TE
connectivity, but they are very costly, so not as attractive as the D-sub
route. if you use straight PC mounting D-sub pins, they can go right into
your PC boards. In you use the tube to hold all the pins for insertion,
that makes it dead simple to install all at once, correctly aligned. Just
keep heat to a minimum.

Anyway, just thought I would share that tidbit, to make life a bit easer.
Yes, all the Pixie tubes are gone, suzie is just sending off  the last
batch of six today.

Other things we just got in that may delight the nixie and similar device
clock-minded:
A large pile of new and used (all fully tested) 2BP1 CRTs, great for clocks
and very bright.

A large batch of flat topped DR2010 numitrons that were used for equipment
testing, look and work like new,
with about 100 hours total time, only $15 each, fully tested. Fits standard
9 pin tube sockets.

We have tons of DR2100 miniature used numitrons, all tested, only $5 each,
take 6 for $25. we even have teflon sockets for them.

all the best,
walter  (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test