Dont Sweare!

Should you demoslih an old fubctional Ford-T to make a golf cart?

eric

  _____

From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Luke
Sent: zaterdag 21 februari 2015 22:23
To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: [neonixie-l] The Dilemma

I recently acquired an old nixie voltmeter with the view to giving it a new
lease of life by transforming it into a nixie clock. This would, not only,
ensure practical daily usage, but would also be admired for its aesthetical
vintage beauty. It's a French made Rochar from 1964.
However, After plugging it into the mains for the first time, I was
surprised how well it worked. All the nixie tubes lit up with no cathode
poisoning. The voltage scale selector and auto scaling worked as if brand
new. The decimal point neon jumps across nicely to the next when I increase
the voltage on my homemade regulator.
The Dilemma is clear. Do I continue my original plan and carry on with the
conversion or do I keep it as it is ? In which case, it will gather dust,
probably only be powered up once or twice a year and then end up in the
garage with my other vintage stuff. But If I do convert it, will I regret
that decision in ten or twenty years time when these beautiful old lab
instruments have become even more scarce.
I have thought about trying to retain its integrity and keep it as a
voltmeter with all its original components but incorporating a clock circuit
and a switch which can toggle between the two. I have, in the passed
converted a TTL based frequency counter into a clock by rewiring the decade
counters but that would not be possible in this case.
Any advice will be appreciated.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/be18f1b0-3b1c-40a9-9007-8a9ad62
233c4%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/be18f1b0-3b1c-40a9-9007-8a9ad6
2233c4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .