I agree with the minimally invasive route. Is this a digital caliper of
some sort? In which case there would have been a device plugged into that
input with which to do the measuring. If you have that and it works then a
physical representation of the time is a neat idea, if you can drive it
with sufficient precision.

Otherwise perhaps you could just simulate whatever electrical signal it
would generate and achieve the same effect. Again, the precision might be
tough.

I started a counter-based clock on this principle - I just output pulses
appropriately to increment the display as needed. The only modification I
made to the counter was to give myself access to the reset signal so that I
could reliably start counting at 0 when I needed to.  It was a neat project
but didn't make it past breadboard stage.