Thanks for posting the pics. It's amazing how much manual work was involved
in building older equipment, such as this unit. Even the PCBs have
additional manual wiring.

I was curious about the innards, particularly about what would be
salvageable if you decide to make a clock out of it.

As much as I hate to destroy another person's work, it's usually easier to
do a new design than it is to reverse-engineer an existing one, especially
if you dont have a full set of schematics and datasheets for obsolete parts.

Another option might be making your own plug-in cards, but that would
depend upon how the existing chassis is wired and the condition of the
wires themselves. Some insulation materials become very brittle over time
(either because of heat-exposure, or because the chemical composition is
inferior), and you have to replace the wire. I've even seen hard-plastic
items like edge-card connectors get brittle over time and break when the
card is removed and re-inserted.