As long as you're using a microcontroller like the PIC or AVR, and not an
8051 variant, why not use charlieplexing ?

Look at page 4 in this document:
http://nixietube.info/NixieTransistors.pdf

In your code, you twiddle both the port and its DDR bits. It can turn only
one output ON at any time. Each output uses two I/O lines, but they are
shared in a matrix. To turn on an output, you set the DDR bits
corresponding to its base and emitter as outputs. You send a 1 to the base
port bit, and a 0 to the emitter bit.

You can run LEDs directly, by hooking the anode in place of the xstr base,
and cathodein place of the emitter. All assuming we started with NPN xstrs.

I use it on my current nixie clock kit:

<https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/nclock5b.gif>