Neat ! I'm guessing its showing the statue of his internet connection. If
it was mine, it would only show, one dot.

As my "dohickie" kit, goes, its tied to a microphone, which a uC measures,
to determine how many dots to sweep thru. Only one "dot" is ON at any time.
You sweep back and forth, n number of dots, at a high speed, to make
several look ON. The dohickie can be adapted to any analog signal.

The internet speedometer relays digital data.

With an Arduino you could rig something to display just about any type of
data. I noticed they have a compass board, for cheap. That one would be
perfect to connect to a dekatron, for its display. Jeff Thomas (quite a
while ago)  mentioned to me, that a guy was looking for just that type of
device. With that inexpensive board, I might just do it.