> Well, I finally noticed that Surplus Sales of Nebraska had a bucket-load of
> NL4998 tubes. So I bought them. I keep getting requests for 4 digit Nixie
> watches, and these tubes are the best candidates for making a Metro: Last
> Light style watch. It seems to be in some demand.
>
> Curiously, four of these tubes almost fit in the diameter of my round 2-digit
> Nixie watch.
>
> The trick will be to make it have an acceptable thickness. The watch in the
> video game is imaginary, so its thickness is unknown. My round watch is .80"
> thick. The 4998 tubes are .81" tall not including the leads. I much prefer
> socketing tubes rather than soldering them in, so a very low profile socket
> is on my list of things to find.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd probably go with flush-mount socket pins like Tektronix used to use to
mount ICs and transistors.

There's a picture here:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/115309/what-is-flush-mount-socket-in-this-40yr-old-tek-scope

<http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/115309/what-is-flush-mount-socket-in-this-40yr-old-tek-scope>

They're a specialty part, but they're still made.  It's FCI's "Minisert" line.

http://portal.fciconnect.com/Comergent//fci/drawing/75540.pdf
<http://portal.fciconnect.com/Comergent//fci/drawing/75540.pdf>

- John