I started development of a clock using some similar displays (except 256x64
pixels).

https://sites.google.com/site/tristansideas/electronics/pinball-display-clock

Sadly a lack of time has prevented me from finishing the project so far.
They can pretty much be driven from the SPI peripheral of most micros. I
used an MSP430 for testing. This allowed each row of display data to be
shifted in using one of the DMA channels with minimal interrupt/CPU usage
just to latch each row keep track of the number of rows. I was able to
achieve 4 levels of grey pretty easily. The chip on the dev board I used
didn't have RAM to hold the entire frame buffer so I was using an external
SPI SRAM (also DMA driven). This was not intended to be the long term
design and I would use a part with enough RAM on board.

I've been thinking of driving them from a BeagleBone Black. Simply because
the PRU's available would be capable of doing the real time processing
required. Trammel Hudson used this method to drive a Mac-SE display and
only minimal changes would be required to run a DMD.

https://trmm.net/Mac-SE_video

That's not to discourage the use of an FPGA. Even without one I was able to
exceed the 200Hz maximum using the MSP430 (they still seem to work at >
200Hz). These displays do use a fair amount of power. They can get warm.
They also have a tendency to produce a high pitched whine when operating.
They did run in pinball machines in arcades pretty much non-stop but they
do wear out eventually. There are LED based replacements available now but
that lacks a certain something that you can only get from neon.