Thomas,

That is the standard end-view Burroughs Nixie tube. The two extra pins are for activating the mercury giver, I believe.

The module appears to be European in origin. We don't have capacitors like that in the USA, and the TI chips have a European font on their labels.

The shaft sticking out appears to turn a rotary PC board switch through a miter gear. The switch looks like it's wired to select one of the ten cathodes. Perhaps it allows the user to set a counter trigger value.