I've recently performed healing on cathode poisoned IN-18. I used the
method of increasing the current (never more than 8mA, datasheet specifies
it as max) to the point when all the parts of the digit light up and then
letting it "bake" until the digit is evenly lit on nominal current of 4mA.
I succeeded on every digit and noticed something in the process. I was
measuring the current flowing trough the tube and it seems to increase
gradually while the tube is healing. I guess this is perhaps related to the
fact that removing the coating from the cathode increases it's "conductive"
surface and thus resulting in increasing current. What seemed interesting
was also, that unrelated to how large the poisoned segment was on the tube,
the rate at which the current was increasing corresponded to the amount of
time it took to heal the tube. In my case, digit "3" had almost all of the
upper part poisoned, but once setting the current to 6.0 mA, over the next
15min it went to 6.9mA and after that the digit was healed when returning
to 4.0mA. On the other side, digit "8" was lightly poisoned on two places
(both areas probably 3-4mm each) and the current was really slowly
increasing (I had to set it to 7mA to start with) to 7.6mA and it took over
6 hours to regenerate those areas.  So those are my observations, I wonder
if anyone else noticed something similar?