> In a couple of weeks, I'm going to be helping my nephew to assemble a 3D
> printer. One of the first projects I would like to use it for is to make some
> B9012 Pixie tube sockets.
>
> I've never used a 3D printer, so it is all new to me. The data sheet I have
> has a good mechanical drawing for a starting point. Does anyone know of an
> off the shelf product I could use for the pin sockets?

Some of the 3D printed sockets use Molex pins to provide side spring contacts
(there's an 11 pin sub magnal socket on Thingiverse that works this way).

> I am currently using some pin sockets scrounged from common old sockets, I
> think from a 9 pin.

Those are a good choice, I buy them in bulk and use them myself.  You can buy
just the contacts, just narrow the search by "female pins", and whether you
want crimp, solder, or whatever:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/connectors-interconnects/d-sub-d-shaped-connectors-contacts/1442671

<http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/connectors-interconnects/d-sub-d-shaped-connectors-contacts/1442671>

- John