I don't own a nixie clock long enough myself, but I've heard of several
examples of nixie clocks running for a long time where the tube of the 1st
hours digit had to be replaced. It seems that no cathode poisoning
prevention was used back then though.
The future will tell which of the current life prolonging measures is the
most efficient.
Turning the nixies off when nobody is looking seems to be the obvious
choice.
Now all I need is to find a way to hide that ugly PIR sensor ;-)