When I was a computer tech in 1980, my employer started changing from
traditional linear (ie, transformer) supplies, to switchers, and it was
pretty scary powering these up the first time.

Most systems were shipped within the US/Canada, so they ran on 120VAC.
There was no shield around the switcher. The way the desktop system was
built, your face was a few inches from the power supply in order to reach
the power switch.  The first time someone (not me, fortunately...)
powered-up a 220V/50Hz system, it went KABOOM! Back then, the power
supplies were not universal, so a jumper had to be changed to operate at
220V. Needless to say, any time I had to power-up a 220V system the first
time I was really on edge. And despite the UL listing, I was always worried
about getting shocked; switchers just didn't seem to have the same degree
of isolation.

Maybe I'm just too old; I've always felt "safe" around transformer (linear)
supplies and leery of switchers, especially the open-frame style.