Thank you for this detailed explaination, even though some is over my head.

Should I check the resistance between the two joined pins and one of the two
pins on the other side?  Could the over heating mosfet damage other components
or will it simply fail? I want to be sure there are not other factors
contributing to the problem like me installing the wrong resistor but I am
fairly meticulous during assembly. I assume if something was really out of
whack the HV supply would not run at all. The clock is functioning but the
mosfet is getting warm, and I notice it is mostly when all the tubes are
running at the same time.  Since I will be giving some of these as gifts I want
to make sure everything is right.