John,

It truly is about as basic of a clock as you can get.  Yes, it's almost
impossible to set the seconds accurately.  I'm sure it's why Jeff came out
with his NixiSat/NixiChron/GPSII series of clocks which were a big
improvement in features and functionality.

I like it mostly because it was Jeff's first design and what started it all
for his Nixie endeavors.

Greg