Over almost the last ten years, I have been designing, producing and
selling a variety of logic and PIC Micro-controlled nixie clocks, from
classic 2x3 mux 74141-based designs to multiplexed and direct drive IN18
monsters, to miniature desk clocks and single digit weirdness. I feel I've
"been there" now, and want to find other appropriate outlets for these
glorious glowing anachronisms! (that is: nixie tubes).

I've been giving some serious thought recently to designing and building a
good quality 50,000 count (4 3/4 digit) Bench Digital Multimeter with a
fair few (sensible) bells and whistles, but of course with a nixie display.
It would use a standard but very capable DMM "front-end" chip to do all the
measurement, opto-isolated to a controller and then onto a direct drive
nixie display (with Volts/Amps/Ohms/Hertz symbols!) Battery or mains, USB
output (or is that input?). I am aiming for CAT IV performance by design
(but not by certification - too expensive), good accuracy as afforded by
the front end chip, and in a good quality case (likely to be the most
expensive component). I'd like to offer it both as an assemble-able kit (so
I'd presolder small SMD parts) or a fully assembled instrument. This would
be a "serious" bit of kit, not something which *looks like* it was thrown
together in a biscuit tin!  I've yet to decide whether the software would
be open source, but it might be nice to let "the community" develop
additional functions in software (data logging, averaging, etc.)

I aim to produce a batch of maybe 50 instruments, but I really don't have
much of a clue as to the demand, out there. "It's going to depend on cost,"
you say. Well, based on BOM costs so far, it is not going to come in much
(if anything) below about GBP £400 (USD $550). Yes, you could spend that on
a new meter and get guaranteed similar specs, but *it wouldn't have a nixie
display* which is of course the unique selling point.

It might take me around 12 months from pressing the button to a finished
product. I've looked, but there appears to be nothing else out there.

So what does the group think? Are we nixie nuts a very small group? Are
clocks enough? Is that price way too high? (the BOM costs means the price
can’t be much lower, for small volumes!)

Regards

Laurence

www.MrNixie.com

(the one in England they call) Mr Nixie