My supply only generates about 320 volts dc, it uses a miniature one turn 100 Kohm variable resistor for current limiting and I put 2 leads with 0.1mm post sockets at the ends to push onto tube leads. Uses as I said either 1 1/2 volt or 3 volts as 1 or two AA or AAA batteries (comes in two versions). Can you guess?  - you may find it at your local thrift store or at a camera show - I buy the whole unit for $1 then take it apart for the high voltage generator.  The "guts"  are also available from some electronics online sources such as Electronic Goldmine. If you have a small plastic box - either a fancy Hammond box or something from the dollar store it is easy to put together.

(It's a single use disposable camera with neon charge indicator !)

Phil

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Paul Andrews <judge2...@gmail.com>
Date: January 23, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Hi Phil,

Is your tester anything like this one? I would love to make one, though that isn't what I was asking about!

- Paul

On Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 10:12:25 AM UTC-5, Paul Andrews wrote:
Hi,

I received a shipment of tubes (Z5900M) that I want to fire up (becasue, you know, I want to see them glow!). I have a cold cathode tube power supply. Could I use that? DO I need to add a resistor to the anode? Should I get me a power supply of some sort instead? If so what?

Very naive when it comes to electronics, but not a complete newb.

Thanks - Paul