On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 3:50:25 PM UTC-8, Ben W wrote:

> .... Let me ask you something, do you notice flickering on your dekatron?
> It looks like you are using the "pie" type animation, I'm using your kit
> for another clock and opted for the "processing" type because the
> flickering was very prevalent above 30-40 seconds counting, since I assume
> the neon dot has to dance around a lot to light that many positions.

Yes, the dot has to travel, one point at a time, so when all pins are lit,
the glow has to cover its maximum distance, hence the refresh rate slows
down, and it does flicker. If I were to increase the clock rate to 16MHz
(currently 8MHz), it will probably disappear. But to do that, I need an
external clock, or xtal. One or two more IO bits that I don't have in its
current incarnation.

I almost managed to get it coded inside 4K, which would allow me to use a
ATmega48 chip, But that trimmed too many features. Currently the code size
is about 5.5K.