I've used Metcal MX-500 series since 2000 - love Metcal stuff (use the
desoldering, tweezer & rework stuff too) and the nice thing about the
MX-500s is that they're all discrete and the schematics are available, so
they can be easily repaired. The MX-5200 is micro-processor controlled, so
hope I never have to try to fix that.

The MX-RM3E hand-pieces from the MX-500 series still work with the new
MX-5200 stuff, but obviously only up to 40W rather than the 80W available
with the new  MX-H2-UF (ultra-fine) and MX-H1-AV (standard) hand-pieces
with associated bits.

I do stuff down to 0603 by hand - 0402 is getting tricky and is done by IR
reflow.

No really for nixies - I do mostly ultra-low-power IoT stuff mainly... and
the occasional nixie clock...

Nick