Never on the mesh (yet), but I did see something similar when I had one of the
numerals wired as the anode rather than the actual anode (in my defense, the
actual anode pin was missing).

I would check that it is wired correctly, including possible shorts. Then check
it on a different QTC mother board to see if it is the motherboard. Then check
a different type of tube on the original motherboard to see if you get the same
effect (another check of the motherboard).

I also don't have a bench supply - it is on my list - but in the meantime, I
use a NCH Nixie power supply and a breadboard. The power supply is rock solid
and the voltage is easily adjustable.

Good luck.