Hi Edward,

Check out Autodesk Fusion 360... It's a very powerful 3D CAD/CAM program
that I've recently started using. The learning curve is modest and there is
excellent support from Autodesk as well as a large user community. Youtube
videos and such...

Fusion 360 will also support laser cutting as the first step in this
tool-chain: Fusion 360 > Slicer for Fusion 360 > Inkscape... I've
successfully used this tool chain with Ponoko.

All of the design tools are free for makers... Autodesk charges for Fusion
360, but not for makers and very small business users.

For output from Fusion 360 to DXF or DWG
format:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-export-a-design-in-Fusion-360.html

Best regards,
Bob