I got a refund, initially not complete, but after complaining about the whole
situation, Pitney Bowes, the GSP partner responsible for the destruction, did
refund me the total, together with an email saying why they destroyed it
("mercury levels") and that there was no way to open exceptions. My initial
email from ebay said only: "congratulations, you got a refund because the item
cannot be delivered".
After searching around, I got the impression, from several post of others that
got tubes destroyed by GSP, that Pitney Bowes sees the shinny getter surfaces
as an indication of mercury. The Apollo and RCA numitrons are known for their
beautiful shinny silver coating.
I'm not expecting an apology besides the standard text I got so far. I did
vigorously complain, but it got the strength of another "anonymous" email that
ebay/gsp get every other day: which is close to nothing, as they shield
themselves in airline safety.
I wish that magazines like Wired would pickup on these stories and would expose
how GSP is destroying these vintage pieces. I shudder to think that every time
someone orders some IN-18 out of the US (might happen!) they can be destroyed
this easily. And all could be easily done with some arbitration before
destroying the pieces.

Manuel Azevedo