Hello Mario.
Unless you have all parts at home for an ne555-based HV PSU, I would go for
the kit: you can concentrate on the Nixies instead of debugging the PSU.
You also get a guarantee on the current output.

Don't worry: you will end up building the PSU sooner or later! And consider
going back to the kits too!

Being in EU I bought my first HV PSU from lumos. If you study the circuit
diagram and the IC datasheet you can mod it for higher max voltage out (the
capacitor in the kit is rated 250V, so stay below that). That's useful for
lazy Nixies to be able to reach 180-200V.

HTH
Paolo