Hello people.

I recently discovered the Nixies, and instantly falled in love.

I decided to make my first Nixie clock, so I bought 6 IN-18 Nixies, a Nixie
tester/Healer from fleabay and a Nixie clock kit from PV Electronics.

The idea is to quickly build a Nixie clock (I've gotta have one!) so that I
can start toying around with the Nixies.

At the same time I would like to design my own clock device, so I already
started to devour information about Nixies, and then, oh man, is when
questions arise.

First I will try to explain my objectives and backgrounds, and I will leave
the questions to the end.

I plan designing a clock:

   - *using IN-18 tubes* (the largest that I know of, if you don't take
   into account the ones made by Dalibor, which are unfortunately out of my
   reach).
   - *using a RasberryPI* to control everything, including NTP time
   synchronisation and even creating a web-based configurator for the clock. I
   feel very confident using linux and C/C++ as I use them (not R-PIs) on a
   daily basis.
   - *Nixie tube lifespan is an absolute priority*. I would like to design
   the watch so that it wouldn't require periodical tube changes, as they are
   very valuable and getting harder to source.

I studied electronics in university (20 years ago) and since then I
basically worked with computers (banking, nothing to do with electronics),
but I liked very much electronics (digital electronics better), and I
thought doing Nixie projects could something cool and rewarding.

So, after some reading, I got some questions:

   - *Direct drive or multiplexing*? Multiplexing seems to be the most
   common solution; it uses lower power consumption, but on the other side
   some people complain about 'noises' and  nixie flickering. Direct power
   supply means more power consumption and brighter Nixies, but lifespan
   should be reduced as well, so I think my design should use multiplexing
   too. I think this is an eternal debate in these forums that now I will have
   to face too. I think multiplexing/direct drive is not as important as...
   - *power supply*? For what I read, even though IN-18 are rated to be
   cathode powered with 180V, some recommend lower voltage ratings (170V or
   even 160V) in order to improve lifespan. Also there seems to be a
   dramatically importance in the mA constantly supplied by the power source.
   For what I could learn, an insuffient power supply that could not provide a
   stable amperage, would lead Nixies to cathode poisoning problems. I would
   like to control the powersource voltage from the raspberry (to
   increase/reduce voltage to make the Nixie brigther/dimmer), any hints on
   where to start looking would be appreciated.
   - *Other big size Nixie recommendations*? As I found trouble finding
   IN-18, maybe there is a better Nixie alternative, specially if I want to
   test and abuse the nixies. Something that can be easily found and that is
   not going to have supply shortage in the near future...

I hope my questions don't offend anyone. I tried to answer them by myself
but got a bit stuck here.