Unlike most folks here, I do not have any background in electronics nor
exposure to the electronics perspective of nixies and glowing tubes.
However, I do go way back with nixies, too. I started as a computer
software developer in the 1970's and worked on Burroughs systems for years.
Burroughs machines had neon and nixies as part of their design. So through
the lifespan of neon, nixies, numitrons, LEDs, LCD, VFD, TFT, etc, I have
been interested in the glowing things and the progression of the
technologies though this brief history of a few decades.
I really didn't think a lot about nixies between about 1980-2010. In the
early 2000's I thought it would be nice if I taught myself a bit about
electronic. I figured it would be useful  or at least quench a curiosity.
I started building B.E.A.M. toys and then progressed to doing on-the-chip
gadgets the leveraged these amazing PIC and Atmel microcontrollers. I was
really excited about the features these little chips had. And I started to
experiment more and more learning ever so little about actual electronics,
but a lot about these little ucontrollers. A few years later, I was talking
with a friend about some of the self-teaching I was doing building tiny low
voltage toys and robots. He is an LED display freak and he asked me if I
knew about these things called dekatrons. I hadn't heard of them. So I
looked into it and discovered that there was crossover into the old nixie
work that I lived in decades ago. I couldn't believe (still cannot) that
you can get such wonderful old display tubes and make them do amazing
things like you all do here. I was hooked right there and then and got a
kit from threeneurons and haven't looked back since (except to look back
and buy more nixie stock and more projects).

I have been a pied piper for preservation of old computer technologies and
software for years (https://mediaarchaeologylab.com/) so I added to this my
passion to preserve and demonstrate these great glowing devices. Thanks to
all of you for the advice and inspiration over the past years! I still do
not know electronics well but you all have made me feel welcome and
continue to provide lots of meaningful fun/learning.

@nixiekeith
http://www.glowtubeglow.com/