Could it be that these CRTs were used in night-vision
apparatus?  If so, they would have been designed to operate
very dimly.

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x
faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See
http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!