I suppose there are two reasons why so many pins are present. One is
locating the right position of the tube - if you skip most of the pins,
then orientation can be located only by judging where the front of the tube
is. If there is only one way to put something in something, then the risk
of something wrong happening is minimized.
Also, if the socket has all 27 slots present, but the tube doesn't, someone
might thing his tube is broken, as it has less pins.
The other reason is that as far as I know the stems weren't produced by the
same companies, or at least not in same factories, so ordering unique bases
was more problematic than just purchasing same type as for the other tubes.

Similar thing goes in signal tubes - many tubes do not utilize all pins
there are present, but to keep with the standard sockets and to provide
good grip all pins are produced anyway. For example, there are many single
triodes with noval base - and those require only 5 pins out of 9.

Voltage stabilizers use extra pins just for rigidness of internal structure
- they are essentially neon tubes, like nixies, but have larger working
areas to support currents varying between 5mA and 30-40mA. So their model
has only two electrodes, but as there are more present in the envelope,
then why not use them as extra mechanical support.