Interesting. I remember our first household calculator, late 1975, was also
VFD from a different manufacturer, but it also had a square-root key. I
suspect there was a commonly-used calculator chip that was used in several
brands. I think my parents paid about 40 USD at that time.

Within a year, prices plummeted and features skyrocketed. I still have my
APF scientific calculator, and that cost 10 USD and had all the
trig/ln/exp/log functions. It outlasted a few others I bought later.