When I first started making my own PCBs, I used to get SRBP boards from a
small shop where they sold off-cuts, scored them with a knife and peeled
off the unwanted copper. If you lifted up a corner with a knife, it worked.
My boards had copper in big rectangular patterns, with holes wherever the
drill bit would stop slipping around. When the world started switching over
to fibreglass boards, they were much more difficult to peel - i ended up
with more fingers bleeding from cut edges, and I changed to a resist pen
and ferric chloride. I loved doing curvy traces, just like the PCBs from my
favourite HP equipment. I realised FeCl etched all metals, not just copper
when I tried to do my first etchings in an aluminium tray .. the FeCl went
right through the tray and went on eating into the concrete floor of the
garage. (a scene that Ridley Scott stole later for Alien). I blame giving
up Chemistry before O level exams at school - an excuse my father didn't
accept.

Brown SRBP boards had a particular odour when you drilled them, or soldered
them, and I still refer to those moments when the magic smoke escapes as
'the nasty brown smell'.