If I had to use the 6V transformer, I would make a voltage doubler.

Then I would use the switching mode regulator in a USB car charger adapter
to produce the regulated 5V.   My Dollar Tree carries them.  Sometimes,
Fry's has these for under US$1.  Or you can probably find one at your
favorite truck stop for US$9.95.  I would physically hack iawy the case to
get at the electronic innards.