My few thoughts:

Yep, through hole where possible, but things like direct drive and HV5622
etc are often only in SMD and they are so useful!

Consider the ESP8266 as the microcontroller - has a lot of the advantages
of the Pi, (as in, Wifi enabled etc, NTP support) but without the overhead
of an operating system.   I've used it for a number of projects here,
including VFD clocks, and it's generally very good. Only annoying thing is
lack of hardware PWM, so it's done in SW.
I don't really want a clock with a full OS on, as the last thing I need is
having to sysadmin it (eg remove log files etc!)

David