Just be aware that there is sometimes a startup issue with smartsockets. This
is something I have experienced myself and others have reported it also. This
results in a mangled display. Usually removing and restoring power will cure
the issue. Sometimes it might take a couple of tries. Once in operation there
is no further issue.

What I think is happening is that when the sockets start up they
self-enumerate, the first socket daisy-chains to the next and they assign
themselves a number. If a later one in the chain is not yet ready, the
enumeration fails. I’ve had displays like 1-2-1-2 where I would expect 1-2-3-4
for example.

The possible fix might be to use the reset pin on the PIC, but the fuse for the
reset pin was disabled when the code was compiled. Fortunately this pin is not
used as an output and is still available. When I made the ZM1350 smartsocket
PCBs I added access to the reset pins so that the smartockets could be reset in
reverse order, to guarantee that each is ready at startup. The fuse for the
reset pin can then be changed in the programmer - I use a Pickit - once the
current hex file has been loaded into it. This code can then be saved back out.
Be sure to use a pullup on the reset lines if they are to be used.

It would then be up to whatever master controller you devise to send resets to
each of the smartsockets in turn before sending messages to them.

Maybe there is a way to ensure appropriate delays for each socket by delaying
power to them - any suggestions?

John S