I would start by taking a look at the "Mod Six" 7971 clock by the team over
at badnixie.com. This has pretty much been *the *clock for 7971s, as it is
loaded with features and is by all means a professional quality product.

http://www.badnixie.com/MOD-SIX_Info_Page.html

Check out the assembly guide for schematics of all the circuits. You will
get a good sense of the general topology required to drive the tubes.

You can also watch a video I made of assembling my own mod six here:
https://youtu.be/jd8zp5yjdWA

This might give you a better tangible representation of what the circuits
look like and how they are combined.