Richard,

The phenomena you describe seems to be quite interesting, and after
thinking though the possibilities I have several ideas for you to try:

The 2 most likely scenarios I can come up with would be:

- Switching noise entering from the enable pin to the microcontroller. Try
leaving the enable pin unconnected, and the power supply will stay on. If
you find that this alleviates the problem, you can use an optocoupler to
drive this pin and keep it galvanically isolated from your microcontroller.

Or:

- Noise or large voltage ripple present on the 5V rail. I'm not sure which
12 volt power supply you are using to drive the whole system, but the
introduction of a large switching power supply could be taxing your 12 volt
source and/or introducing unexpected noise. If you have a scope, see if you
can probe the 12 volt line and the 5 volt line with the NCH device
installed, and then with the new power supply installed. If you see a lot
of noise or higher ripple with one versus the other, try to smooth things
out with some general purpose 220 or 470uF electrolytic caps placed close
to your circuits across power lines.

I would also recommend using a linear regulator for powering logic such as
your micro and the smartsocket controllers. You can pre-regulate 12 volts
down to 8-6 volts, then use a high quality LDO (low dropout regulator) to
provide clean power to your logic circuits. Switching power supplies can be
very noisy and cause glitches just by output ripple present in normal
operation.

My suspicion is that the larger switching currents of the big supply may be
inducing some noise on the low voltage side of your circuits, and seeing as
the 5 volts is running directly off of a switching supply this noise is
making it's way to the logic and causing glitches. You already tried moving
the power supply away from the smart sockets and observed the same
glitches, so I cannot imagine EMI/RFI emitted from the device itself is the
issue.

Of course, let me know what your findings are. We will solve this!