So this is a matter of academic curiosity and not an effort to make your
device work.  I think this is a neat thing to do.  Based on your
observations, this suggests some experiments.

In a previous post, I speculated that both part numbers might use the same
chip.  I now think this is less likely.  Since this would be a destructive
test, this should be done after all the other experiments.  You can expose
the silicon chip by using wire cutters to scrape away the epoxy.  The chips
will usually be bonded to the collector lead.

If they do use the same chip, the difference could be due to a higher
temperature in the smaller package.  I would try using some canned Freon to
chill the MPS-A42 to see if this changed its performance.

Another less likely possibility is that this is the natural variation in
the chip processing.  You test this by comparing several parts with
different date codes.

I am sure that creative minds can conjure up other hypotheses.