From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Richard Scales
Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 1:53 AM
To: neonixie-l <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [neonixie-l] 16 Segment Starburst smart socket driver

I have long been inspired by 'word clocks' as well as the 'smart socket'
concept which was used to drive things like the Burroughs B-7971 displays.

Having some time on my hands recently I decided to create a 'smart socket' to
drive 2.3" Starburst LED displays. I have now got to the point where I actually
have something to show as the proof of concept would appear to be successful!

[cid:image003.jpg@01D65415.2B7C9680] [cid:image004.jpg@01D65415.2B7C9680]

The original smart socket code which was created by Chris Barron ran on a
PIC16F690 which did not have enough ports to drive all 16 segments plus the
decimal point so I moved over to a PIC16F886 (I am no PIC expert so the choice
was based on what my development environment and programmer would support).

At the same time a colleague of mine was hinting that I really should have a go
at surface mount components. The result is a single board with the PIC and some
Darlington Drivers and associated series resistors. The 2.3" LED display plugs
in to the back.  As many sockets as you desire (1-255) then link together and
by sending simple ASCII commands, any required data can be displayed.

Multiple transitions as well as user defined characters are supported.

I re-purposed the original 'underscore' command (the B-7971 has an underscore
segment) to control the decimal point.

That's pretty much it.

I already have a 'controller' which handles all the WiFi, NTP Time setting and
fancy display controls including motion detector activation etc. I just need to
make a version specifically for these displays which will provide optional PWM
control for the 12V LED power and we're done.

I plan to make a 10 segment version, the case for which is currently a concept
in my head - so it could take a while to see the light of day.

I plan to publish full details over at the Smart-Sockets group when I get
things finally buttoned down.

- Richard

neonixie-l+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:neonixie-l+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/a3baf95d-4dd1-4844-9e1f-861e192b62f1o%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/a3baf95d-4dd1-4844-9e1f-861e192b62f1o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.