Here's the text in question...

In a 2011 email to me, Roger Wolfe, a Burroughs engineer, recalled the
team’s first fragile attempt: “We put the tube on life test overnight. When
we came in the next day, so much cathode material had sputtered onto the
dome of the tube that the numerals were no longer visible. We had invented
a tube with a 24-hour life!”

After some tinkering, Wolfe wrote, they discovered that the addition of
mercury vapor would greatly extend the tube’s life span. The sputtering had
been caused by the accelerated neon ions striking the cathode. But when the
neon ions collided with the heavier mercury molecules, their energy dropped
below the point where they could damage the cathode.

“We secured a tiny ampule with mercury sealed inside, wrapped a few turns
of resistance wire around the ampule, [and] connected the ends of the wire
to two of the [tube’s] pins,” Wolfe wrote. The tube was then sealed, and
the team ran current through the wire, which heated and broke the ampule,
releasing the mercury.

In August 1955, Burroughs unveiled its new indicator tube at Wescon—the
Western Electronic Show and Convention, in California—which was for many
years the leading U.S. electronics event. Soon after, it began shipping the
first tubes to customers. That December, the company filed for a patent on
its “glow indicating tube
<https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d0/2c/b4/44e051c1df6bf3/US2833949.pdf>”
[PDF] The devices were mechanically superior to the numeric display tubes
still on offer from National Union: They had dedicated anodes made from
wire mesh, and instead of hand-bent wires, the cathode numerals were etched
out of thin sheet metal. The addition of mercury prolonged the tubes’ life
span, eventually to more than 200,000 hours.