Does the gas make any difference? What about heavier gases like Kr, Kr+I, or Xe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3M0cY29Pq0

-Dan

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020, Kevin A. wrote:

I found an IEEE article which contains an anecdote from a Burroughs
engineer who worked on nixie R&D.

Link:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/dawn-of-electronics/the-nixie-tube-story-the-neon-display-tech-that-engineers-cant-quit

To quote that article:

"Roger Wolfe, a Burroughs engineer, recalled the team???s first fragile
attempt: ???We put the tube on life test overnight. When we came in the next
day, so much cathode material had sputtered onto the dome of the tube that
the numerals were no longer visible. We had invented a tube with a 24-hour
life!???

After some tinkering, Wolfe wrote, they discovered that the addition of
mercury vapor would greatly extend the tube???s life span. The sputtering had
been caused by the accelerated neon ions striking the cathode. But when the
neon ions collided with the heavier mercury molecules, their energy dropped
below the point where they could damage the cathode.

???We secured a tiny ampule with mercury sealed inside, wrapped a few turns
of resistance wire around the ampule, [and] connected the ends of the wire
to two of the [tube???s] pins,??? Wolfe wrote. The tube was then sealed, and
the team ran current through the wire, which heated and broke the ampule,
releasing the mercury."