I am not sure about Switzerland as it may have its own regulations being as
it is not in the EU (and I am sure the UK will soon start to drift on this
also) but generally "over here" you need to meet the EN or whatever (BSI?)
standard for the device type and mark your device with the CE mark if it is
fully compliant. This is self certification but you need to be able to
proove compliance if asked for it. Hence it is a very wise idea to give
your finished widgit to a test house for EMC (radiated / conducted
emissions and also susceptability) and then also give it to a test house
for safety testing which covers flammability and "does a live part get
exposed if I drop it" type of tests. Dont expect to get a working widget
back from that one.
Assume £5k costs for those two together if its a fairly normal thing. Try
and use pre-approved modules and design towards compliance and box ticking
(which is mostly what the safety testing is) to keep costs down.
Use a cheap SDR based setup with some wands for checking EMI radiated if
possible. A reasonable Rigol spectrum analyser EMC setup with LISN for
conducted can be had for about £1k now also, useful if your device is risky
(e.g. smpsu design / lots of wires / clock frequencies). Also, do things in
a sensible order, I had a clients LED lamp design that was perfect function
wise and it struggled through 3k of safety testing and then failed EMC so
spectacularly the entire design was scrapped.