On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 6:52 PM Nicholas Stock <nickst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a lot of IV22 VFDs and IV4/17's. The differences in the backgrounds
> can be quite varied from what I've seen.....I don't think they were
> particularly bothered by it for their intended use case (behind a filter)?

Indeed Nick. Or as long as they were consistent within a production run
nobody cared.

> I'd second your question with regards what to do with duff nixies....over
> 20 years, I've accumulated quite a few duds that I don't want to just chuck
> away!!

Well, the seller from whom I got the IN-16's claims that people use them
for clocks or re-gas them. For the latter you'd better look for an
Alchimist and I don't think re-gasing small tubes makes sense as of 2020
(yet). As for building clocks with duff nixies, I realised that it is not
about building "nixie clocks" but probably "clocks with nixie parts", like
sticking their digits on the dial face! Given the small lot I've got I
might begin using these digits to add a timestamp on my clocks :) Other
uses would be as former USSR souvenirs, novelty items to visitors, ... at
50c a piece for IN-14 makes almost sense.

Deviating from the subject of the thread, few of those IN-16's happily
react to HVAC with lavender/violet discharge. So, either Neon has outgassed
leaving Argon alone (heavier atomic mass), or those tubes were never
inflated with Neon (production error/end). The question is ... how much DC
voltage should I need to light it up as a Nixie? 300V were not enough.

Paolo