On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 9:30:49 PM UTC-8 gregebert wrote:

> Interesting notes from the seller, mentions slight ghosting. The
> clock-chip does the multiplexing, though it was probably intended for LEDs
> which dont have requirements for blanking time.

The chip is a National Semiconductors MM5314.  I have a Panaplex evaluation
kit that used this chip, and I do not remember seeing any ghosting (and the
Panaplex and B7971 were both made by Burroughs).

My B7971 clocks used the Cal-Tex CT7001 which multiplexes with 120µs ON
followed by 40µs OFF.  You can see ghosting, even on some of the segments
that were not wired (floating). Must be due to some parasitic capacitance
somewhere.

> Downright scary how much the 7971's are selling for...

I still have a bunch of spares (none of my 7971's died of natural causes,
so I have lots).  I am rooting for the price to go up to help fund my
retirement.