        From: "David Forbes" <nixiebu...@gmail.com>
        Sent: 4/19/2021 1:26:52 PM
        To: "NeoNixie" <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] CRISTAL + CAPACITOR = TIME DELAY HELP

        My Nixie watches have a variable 5-30pF capacitor on the crystal so
that I can adjust the oscillator to exactly 32768 Hz. You could use a different
value depending on your crystal characteristics. I use an old Hewlett Packard
universal frequency counter, running in time period averaging mode, measuring
the time period of 10,000 cycles of the oscillator.

                I connect an oscilloscope probe to the oscillator output pin on
the PIC computer to achieve minimum loading of the crystal circuit. I have to
adjust it to run a bit slow with the probe connected, to get proper timekeeping
when the probe is removed.

                I can adjust it to within one second per week using this
technique. I've done this on 2000 Nixie watches by now, so it works.

                On Mon, Apr 19, 2021, 1:23 AM MrThe50sanchez