The DS3232 has an internal crystal, with periodic temperature compensation
(every 100 seconds). There are also non-volatile trim registers that allow
you to fine-tune the trimming even further, though I have not needed to do
that.

You wont be able to use a scope to fine-tune the crystal oscillator,
because the scope wont have sufficient precision or accuracy. A frequency
counter is a starting point, but in the end you will need to measure the
time over a period of days to get it accurate.

Many years ago I had a clock-calendar in my S100 computer, and I would
tweak the trim capacitor every few days. After a week it was really close.
There were no cellphones, GPS receivers, or NTP servers to get the time;
you had to call the phone company for a recorded message with the time, or
catch a radio/TV station identification.