Two possibilities for this... First is the time-lapse / persistence of
vision type effect already referred to. If the tube is spinning fairly
quickly the camera exposure doesn't have to be intentionally manipulated to
come up with images like this. See for example a couple of photos I posted
here last autumn (https://groups.google.com/g/neonixie-l/c/gMBvFi4fQCw).
Those are just what the camera served up on an auto setting, and indeed
what the tubes look like to the naked eye.

Second, someone is abusing the tube by simply putting HV across it either
without a current limiting resistor or with a fairly low value one that is
letting the tube pass say 5-10mA. Most likely the tube is connected with
the HV on the anode and then either the first or second guide array
grounded, with all other pins left floating. There's a seller on eBay who
has a couple of A101 listings with such images, and in those you can see in
the background that they've only got two connections to the tube rather
than the 4 you would need to actually spin it properly. It's not a great
thing to do to the tube, though probably not going to cause any real damage
if it's only for a few seconds.

Jon.