Ahh, my mistake - the filiment pins 14 and 1 are next to each other - the 
other diagram above showed a gap between 14 and 1. The pin numbers are 
nicely moulded in the base if you remove the socket.[image: Tube End.PNG]
The tube has pins 6 and 13 absent from the tube, and the wired-up socket 
doesn't use pins 4 or 12 either. 

I'd taken the gap (pins 12 and 13) as the gap on the diagram above.

Interestingly I have pin 4 present on the socket but not wired up - someone 
must have changed their mind assembling it. 
On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 21:24:47 UTC+1 John Snow wrote:

> When you get your kit can I check the socket wiring with you? Mine doesn't 
> match the wiring for the 8SJ31J in the seller's datasheet, but is 
> pre-soldered & heatshunk and already on the tube. I'm worried they made an 
> off-by-one error wiring it up.
>
> On Saturday, 15 May 2021 at 05:53:11 UTC+1 gregebert wrote:
>
>> Most likely, the error is in the text description in the instruction 
>> manual. From the datasheet, pin 9 is the multi-anode connection, and pin 5 
>> is the single anode. I am more likely to follow the connections to specific 
>> pin numbers in the instructions, rather than the text-description. Pin 9 is 
>> the higher-voltage (1500V) anode, and it should not be difficult to verify 
>> that in the schematic.
>>
>> As far as the power is concerned, I cant figure out where 7-10 watts is 
>> going. The filament is 6.3V / 150mA so that's less than 1 watt. The 
>> electron-beam current is probably less than 100uA, so that is also less 
>> than 1 watt. For comparison, a NIMO tube uses 30uA. Even if the anode 
>> current was a whopping 1mA, that would still be only 1.5 watts. So that 
>> leaves the grid and focus anode as the only other source of power 
>> dissipation; maybe some clues will be in the schematic.
>>
>> My kit arrived in the US earlier this week, so I hope it will get 
>> delivered to me next week. I will be placing a 250mA fuse in series with 
>> the filament for added protection. I'll post an update after I've either 
>> finished it, or ran into a problem.
>>
>> On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 5:15:45 PM UTC-7 John Snow wrote:
>>
>>> Found a conflict between the documentation (both before and after google 
>>> auto-translation). The conflict is between Anodes A1,A2,A3 in the sellers 
>>> documentation. 
>>>
>>> The seller's documentation lists: 
>>>
>>> A2 (Focusing Anode) - pin 5
>>> A1,A3 (first and third anodes) - pin 9
>>>
>>> I've found a separate pinout for the 8SJ31J tube that lists:
>>>
>>> Focusing Anode,A2 - pin 9
>>> A1 - pin 5
>>>
>>>  The second pinout is from 
>>> http://www.spectrum-scientifics.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/Properties_of_Electrons_Apparatus.pdf
>>>  
>>>
>>> It looks like the tube in the spectrum-scientifics is the thin-pin 
>>> version of the 8SJ31J, and the kit uses the thick-pin version of the 
>>> 8SJ31J, but I'd like a second opinion. 
>>>
>>> I know they have different power requirements - the thick-pin (old) is 
>>> around 10W, and the thin-pin (new) is around 7W (I'm assuming which are old 
>>> and new based on the design of the base socket). The rest of the pinout 
>>> agrees, is this another difference between the old and new designs of 
>>> tubes? 
>>>
>>> Tl;DR I'm not clear on the anodes of the 8SJ31J, which pin is the 
>>> focusing anode, and why the other two of the three anodes are joined 
>>> together.
>>> On Saturday, 15 May 2021 at 00:06:33 UTC+1 John Snow wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm trying to figure out how it's put together before I start soldering.
>>>>
>>>> As Paolo mentioned the only mystery part is the transformer T-SC-1 on 
>>>> the parts list - it looks like a custom order. I don't know how to 
>>>> characterise it without destructively pulling it apart, and unfortunately 
>>>> they don't sell them separately.
>>>>
>>>> There's another four without the tube now listed: 
>>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265151344483
>>>>
>>>> The kit is listed as configured for 8SJ31J by default, and the 
>>>> documentation linked further up lists the wiring for 3SJ1J/5SJ38J/7SJ32J. 
>>>> No idea if the power requirements differ and requires resistors changing 
>>>> on 
>>>> the circuitboard(s), or if they are plug-and-pray drop-in replacements 
>>>> once 
>>>> you've changed the pinout.
>>>>
>>>> The auction page says it can be used with 
>>>> 3LO1I/7SJ33J/8SJ31D/8SJ40/8SJ42J/8SJ40D/9SJ105Y14/12SJ102J/13SJ38J/13SJ38D.
>>>>  
>>>> Unfortunately without knowing the transformer operating characteristics 
>>>> I'd be hesitant to plug in anything else.
>>>>
>>>> I'll probably try to replace the fuses with polyfuses in the future, 
>>>> socketing them for now, and taking measurements while unpopulated for 
>>>> easier case design later.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 20:25:12 UTC+1 John Snow wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Huh, ebay auction says 12V 5A, a previous aliexpress page gives much 
>>>>> lower values for amperage:
>>>>>
>>>>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001142939399.html
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm assuming it's the same design from the pictures
>>>>>
>>>>> On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 20:18:53 UTC+1 John Snow wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> The kit was previously 'avalible' from aliexpress for £56.44, but it 
>>>>>> was from a seller that held no stock - got refunded as unable to ship.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> That was minus the tube though, the current ebay link includes the 
>>>>>> 8SJ31J but lacks a power supply (12V 5A centre+)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Unsure on lifespan of tube.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 19:46:03 UTC+1 Paul Andrews wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> They actually seem very cheap to me...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 12:56:00 PM UTC-4 John Snow wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> There's another 4 of the 8SJ31J kits listed at 
>>>>>>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265139148431 , I've ordered one on the 
>>>>>>>> offchance they have them in stock, also the seller has feedback for 
>>>>>>>> selling 
>>>>>>>> them previously.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Bit of a premium tho, and only avalible with tube.
>>>>>>>> On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 11:40:02 UTC Collin Smith wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Have you looked at these kits?
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> https://oscilloscopeclocknixiecrt.com/Kit.htm
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Dec 16, 2020, at 00:17, John Snow <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I've tried to get that one from Aliexpress previously, but they 
>>>>>>>>> later refunded me saying they weren't getting any more stock.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Friday, 11 December 2020 at 21:42:35 UTC Pramanicin wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Did anyone else on the list buy one of those recent CRT clock 
>>>>>>>>>> kits that was listed on eBay?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> like this one...
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001330655526.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1a084c4d8VxYDr
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I have a kit, but they never shipped the instructions, so if 
>>>>>>>>>> anyone has some that would be great.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Thx,
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Nick
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>>>>>>>> Groups "neonixie-l" group.
>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, 
>>>>>>>>> send an email to [email protected].
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> To view this discussion on the web, visit 
>>>>>>>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/3aacb083-5cbf-4b96-96ee-6e8e13744159n%40googlegroups.com
>>>>>>>>>  
>>>>>>>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/3aacb083-5cbf-4b96-96ee-6e8e13744159n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>>>>>>>> .
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"neonixie-l" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e922ff7-729b-4d59-a89d-d3cc232396d8n%40googlegroups.com.

Reply via email to